Today’s Listia Tip is about how to ship an item to a winner in the best possible way. It seems simple enough, to pack it well and take it to a shipping carrier, but here are some time-tested tips to help you sail through the process:
- This goes without saying, but pack your items carefully and with plenty of packing material so that nothing gets damaged. As the seller, it’s in your best interest to make sure that the item arrives safely and doesn’t get damaged when the delivery man drop-kicks your box.
- If you’re charging for shipping, then it’s a good idea to wait for the payment before shipping. =)
- It’s a little cost, but it’s often times worth getting a delivery confirmation or a tracking number for your package. Lost packages happen and it’s one of the top reasons we get a post-auction dispute, so base your decision on how many credits you’ll get for the item. Think of it as a sort of “insurance” on the amount of credits you’ll get.
- If your item is very valuable, then I recommend taking some clear photos of the item just before it goes into the shipment box, showing everything that’s being included. It’s not likely, but just in case something happens to the box during shipment, and they can come in real handy should there be any type of dispute with the transaction later. Taking pictures nowadays is free, so why not?
- If you’re listing an item where the buyer pays the shipping cost, clearly state how much and the payment methods accepted.
- Ship to a verified address only. Shipping to an address someone emails you instead, leaves you unprotected by the Listia Assurance and exposes you to some unnecessary risk.
- Using Paypal is the recommended shipping payment method, because it’s convenient as well as both parties are protected by Paypal in most cases.
- If you’re the winner, only click the “Got It” button AFTER you’ve actually received the item. Even if the seller tells you that they need you to do that before you actually get the item. When you click that button, the seller immediately gets the credits that are held in “escrow” for you. Be smart.
Follow the above tips and you’re likely to have a perfect shipping/receiving experience. Do you have any shipping/receiving tips of your own? If so, add your comment here.
We hope you continue enjoying Listia, getting rid of your old stuff and getting something new. Happy shipping/receiving everyone!