Like many great ideas, Listia was built as a solution to a messy and frustrating problem. A few years back one of our cofounders, James, posted old snowboard boots in craigslist’s free category, thinking he could quickly clear them out of his closet while earning himself good snow karma. His inbox immediately filled up with inquiries, and he found himself juggling multiple conversations, questions, schedules and levels of interest. After carefully selecting one person and politely notifying all other parties, James anxiously waited at home with his boots for the pickup. He waited, and waited. And then waited some more. When he realized his chosen recipient had actually flaked, he threw his hands in the air in frustration. Giving away free things should never be this difficult.
Listia was created as an alternative to classifieds, with an emphasis on being easy, free, nationwide and FUN. Our auction-style listings have a leg up on regular classifieds and swap sites because:
- Sellers can connect with local or national buyers
- All questions and answers about your item appear publicly in your listing – no managing multiple email threads
- If someone wants your item, they’ll bid to win. You can also set a “Get It Now” price on your item. No need to haggle
- Listings can be posted for up to 21 days! More time means more exposure and more potential buyers
- Safety: sellers are rated and verified, and all listings are backed by Listia Assurance
- If you like a particular seller, you can easily follow them and bid on their listings
- Selling your stuff for credits lets you save up to trade up, or spend on a variety of smaller things
What are your favorite things about Listia that other sites just don’t provide?